Adapted from BBC good food recipe.
For the cupcakes:
170g unsalted butter, softened
130g caster sugar
115g self-raising flour or plain flour with a teaspoon of baking powder
3 large egg
55g cocoa powder, I used Van Houten
A pinch of salt
A splash of milk
For the decorations:
Mini pretzels, M&M’s Christmas Edition Mint (comes in red and white), melted chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 190c for 15-20 minutes. Line the muffin/cup cake tins.
2. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and mix until creamy and lighter in colour, using a mixer.
3. Sieve the cocoa, flour and salt into a bowl and crack one of the eggs into a cup or ramekin. Stiring all the time, add the egg and a third of the flour mixture into the sugar and butter, add the second egg and third of the flour and add the last egg and flour mixture in to the butter and sugar. You should have a smooth thick batter. Add a splash of milk and stir.
4. Put even amounts of the mixture into the tins. Put into the oven and bake for 25 minutes until springy to touch. Take out of the oven at leave them in their tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Attach the pretzels and M&M’s by using melted chocolate. Once the chocolate is dry, it will act as glue.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. Have a very Merry Christmas !